Sunday, September 11, 2011

They ran the wrong way...

There is no image more overwhelming in my memory of 9/11 then that of thousands of people running FROM the towers and handfuls of firemen and policemen running TO the unfolding disaster.  I have asked it hundreds of times, where do such men and women come from?  Even after the first tower fell and it was obvious that it was only a matter of time before the second collapsed, rescuers ran INTO the danger...

My pastor asked the question this morning, "Do you think the rescuers went in looking only for a certain skin color, believing one race more worthy of a second chance than another?  Did they look for Christians who needed help over Muslims?  Did they push toward the upper floors because that was where all the 6 figure income folks were?"  Or...did they rescue indiscriminately?  The question is absurd, it was meant to be, the answer obvious.

I wonder...

The lost are dying all around us.  Oh, they walk and talk or even laugh...but they are dying.  They are dying without Christ and at least some...maybe even many, are dying without Christ because no one has ever bothered to share with them God's unconditional love manifested in His Son Jesus Christ.  Is it possible they've not heard because we are reluctant to share with those who are different than we, or we imagine them to be not quite so worthy as someone else?

I pray it will be said of me one day that I ran in while others ran out.  I pray that the church, the Bride of Christ will be known for "indiscriminate rescues"  I pray we are running the "wrong way".  Toward the dead and dying no matter their race, beliefs or financial status.  I pray we will be found worthy.  May we be driven to action by the example of unselfish sacrifice of New York's finest 10 years ago today.

No comments:

Post a Comment