Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why is it so hard?

Why do we find it so hard to accept a gift, especially a gift with no strings attached?  I was delivering Shalom Baskets, baskets filled with goodies and a wish for a sweet and happy Jewish New Year, in Atlanta last month.  The baskets are purchased through the Light of Messiah website for the purchasers Jewish friends.  Volunteers deliver them just before Rosh Hashanah, the start of the Jewish New Year.  All of my baskets were delivered without a hitch until the last one.  Mr. & Mrs. Doe had purchased a basket for their friends Mr. & Mrs. Levine (names have been changed to protect their privacy).  Here is how the meeting went after I rang the doorbell.


     Mr. Levine:  You've got the wrong house. (straight face, no emotion)
     Me: Are you Mr. John Levine?
     Mr. Levine:  Yes, but you've still got the wrong house. (slight bit of frustration in his voice)
     Me: Do you know a Mr. and Mrs. John Doe?
     Mr. Levine:  Yes, but I am sure you have the wrong house. (getting more frustrated, with me I assume)
     Me: Mr. Levine I am very sorry to have disturbed you, I was just going by...(trying to calm him down)
     Mr. Levine:  The lady next door had surgery yesterday, I am sure that is where you mean to be.
     Me: Actually this basket is not a get well basket, it was meant to wish someone, I thought you, a sweet and 
          happy new year, Rosh Hashana is right around the corner.  I am very sorry to have disturbed you, have a      
          good day...(turning to walk away)
     
Why was Mr. Levine so reluctant to accept a free gift?  I had his name right, I had his friends name right, I showed him the card with the correct address, HIS address on it.  So why didn't he want to accept it?

Check back to see how the story ends and my thoughts on his reluctance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment