Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Things I don't understand...

     Some say the beginning of wisdom is knowing what you don't know.  I like that, mostly because I think it means I am on the verge of becoming very wise.  Let me explain. 
    
     In elementary school, somewhere about 1st or 2nd grade, you realize how much "stuff" there is out there that you don't know and so you begin learning.  High school and teen years come along and you figure you've learned everything worth knowing and adults are just stupid for keeping track of so much "worthless" information.  Eventually, somewhere in your 20's, you hit a happy medium of feeling adequately intelligent coupled with the reality that there are things in this world that you don't know.
    
     However, as you get into your senior years, and self examination sets in, you realize just how much there is, that's important, that you don't have a clue about.  I've crossed into that life stage now.  I have significantly more questions than I do answers.  Oh, I still remember my times tables and I think I can go all the way to 12x12 in less than 3 minutes.  I know that WWII came AFTER WWI and I know who we were fighting.  It's the bigger less obvious stuff that has got me wondering now.

     Last night I gathered with almost 30 adults from our church to pray for our church.  It was an incredible time of blessing, brokeness, repentence, and claiming God's promises for His church.  We sat in a circle and went around the room.  I was about 20th in line to pray and while I tried to listen to what others were praying the Holy Spirit was speaking to me and I could not help but listen.

     What He kept saying, over and over again was, "You really don't know very much at all, do you?  BUT I do, so trust me."  Tomorrow I will share with you what the Holy Spirit told me I didn't know, be sure to check back to find out just how clueless I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment